Add the Volt to a long list of failures of businesses run, operated or influenced by the federal government—–AMTRAC, US Post Office,
at least 6 green energy companies, including the 500 billion Solyndra failure, Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, etc, etc, etc.
In addition to the wonderful advantages listed below, the government gives a big tax incentive to those who purchase the Volt.——
and they are still not selling.
Interesting statistics—-the Volt costs approx $46,000—–the average income of a Volt buyer is $176,000.
This means that the “average” American taxpayer—(forget the 50% who pay no federal income tax)—-is paying to subsidize the more
A wonderful example of “progressive”
Cost to operate a Chevy Volt
Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel’s Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.
For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.
· the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery.
· So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.
· It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph.
· Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours.
· In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.
According to General Motors,
· the Volt battery hold 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.
· The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity.
o I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh.
o 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.
o $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.
Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg.
· $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.
· The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000.
So Obama wants us to pay 3 times as much for a car that costs more than 7 time as much to run and takes 3 times as long to drive across country.