Not since the Civil War has the political future been so tenuous. The Constitution is routinely ignored. The Federal government is at odds with states over healthcare, immigration and other issues. The public’s wishes have been regularly ignored by their representatives.
The issue is how to shrink government back to its intended size. All westernized democracies have been on an inexorable march toward Socialism. Is such a trend reversible? How do you roll back Leviathan when it has no intent of allowing it? No government has ever grown anywhere near this powerful and been downsized peacefully. It can be done, but probably not via the ballot box.
Here is some key information on the current situation.
- The country suffered two recessions within seven years.
- The stock market is 20% off from 10 years ago.
- Real weekly wages are below where they were in 1964. Real median wages are down almost 5% since 2000.
- Unemployment is at unacceptable levels, with no signs of abating.
- Housing price declines have driven wealth down and foreclosures up.
- Living standards have contracted as a result of the above and a spending and debt binge that was unsustainable.
- The poverty rate is at a 15 yr. high. Unemployment benefits and welfare sustain millions of Americans.
- Personal bankruptcies are at all-time highs.
- Governments at all levels are insolvent as are many families.
- Government is viewed as destroying the middle class to prop up the financiers.
Confidence in big government is gone, at least for much of the population.
Some factors include the following: